Recently while browsing CodePlex I came across a very useful tool that I wanted to bring to the attention to SharePoint administrators everywhere. The project is the SharePoint ULS Log Viewer which was built by Stefan Keir Gordon.
Here is an overview taken from the CodePlex info:
This is a WPF application powered by LINQ.
The current release (2.0) has the following features:
- Parse and open multiple SharePoint ULS logs (will concatenate them if you select multiple)
- Reorder and resize columns, sort on any column
- Filter by Severity, Category, and Process or a custom text filter/search
- Group multi-line stack traces into single log entries for easy viewing and copy/paste
- View message easily in separate pane (No more scrolling in notepad)
I reluctantly admit that up until now I have relied on NotePad or TextPad to interact with my logs. I kept saying I would take the time to write something, but I just never got around to it. This tool is polished and full featured, so I definitely no longer have a need to develop anything.
Take a look; I’m sure you would agree. A big thank you to Stefan for contributing this to the community!